Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Libertad

The Argentine national anthem has the word Libertad in it more than any other. As you can deduce, libertad is the Spanish word for freedom or liberty and is something very important to our friends here. However, even though I try not to, I often doubt they are truly free.

The poor are trapped in their poverty by free subsidies given to them that take away all incentive to work. Strawberries weren’t harvested this year because they people who typically work the fields during the 3 month period the fruit is ripe, were given an irregular amount of money through the “work” given to them during the election year.  As a result, they decided they didn’t want to get dirty in the fields.

When a woman gives birth to a baby, there is a list of approved names she can choose to give to her newest addition. If the name she desired is not on the list, well, she needs to pick another one.

Recently, we learned that an Argentine economist was fined a huge amount of money because he had contradicted the official inflation rate. Ask anyone and they will tell you that the prices on everything have increased between 20 – 28% in the past year. I mean, I can give you a breakdown of the increase in prices of milk, flour, and sugar. Anyway, the official report has the rate at just under 10%. This economist challenged it and got big-time-busted. Any other economist who publishes data on inflation that conflicts with the official measure is threatened with large fines per a new law.

The tax system is incomprehensible and changes every 4 months. This obviously makes any type of business forecasting or planning very difficult.

Voting is required. You do have a choice in who you vote for (depending), but you do not have a choice whether or not to vote. If your DNI (national identification number booklet, kept with you at all times) doesn’t have all the appropriate stamps for every election, you cannot leave the country and things are withheld from you.

Everything requires a stamp and signature or it’s not official. The secretary of the school has her special stamp as do the pet store owners, teachers, summer camp workers, grocery store clerks. I haven’t gotten my own personal stamp – I’m rebellious that way. And anyway, what would I stamp? (I can actually think of lots of things… hehehe.)

I’m so thankful for the opportunity I have had to learn more about another culture. I love my Argentine friends. And, for the most part, we have had very nice experiences with strangers on the street (except for being called raro).

It’s funny to me that my boys know the Argentine anthem better than the USA one. Both the USA and Argentine national hymns give tribute to the freedom that our countries have as a result of war-filled revolutions. They also speak of having patriotic pride and the cost that freedom often has. I guess, ultimately, I’m beyond thankful for the libertad I have in Christ and His truth that sets me free.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

oh, my gosh Krista--- Guatemalans too use stamps for ev-ERY-thing! no joke. Taxes, banks, legal papers, getting married, loans, at the local ferretería, etc! I do not yet have my own...but I think if I get one it will say this "This stamp is not offcial" jaja.

heather west said...

'Liberty' is such a funny word. I wonder if there is any country that is truly 'liberated'- other than Texas, that is. We are under the impression in the US that we are a 'free' country when, in fact, we are not. And it gets worse every day, although we are not like Argentina yet in this way. Interesting post. Thanks for the topic. Today, my word verification is 'rudemen'.