Friday, July 11, 2008

El Andador y La Lluvia

Okay, so the rain didn't stop for 6 straight days. Some may think that this was a nice break in the hot weather, but they would be wrong. It was still hot (although much cooler) and the rain makes the unpaved roads turn to mud so when you walk, the dirt/mud flips up onto your calves. It also multiplies the mosquito popluation. And our ability to connect to the internet is based on the weather (it's via satellite). All that to say, I am so thankful for the beautiful sunshine no matter how much it makes me sweat.

We've had a couple changes with our Language School. It really isn't a school for ninos, despite what we were told, so we felt it would be best to find something else for the kids. And thank you, God, we found a curso de verano (summer course) that is full of kids. There are many great things about it: the whole month of July costs less than one week of school (!!), it's right between our house and the school, there are tons of fun things for the kids to do (swimming, PE, drawing, soccer, etc.), and there are lots of Mexican kids who only speak Spanish which is a better way for our kids to learn anyway. Es mucho mejor and we are all feeling so thankful.

For Chris and me, our homework is typically to write a story about something in the past (to practice the imperfect and preterite tenses) and the last story I wrote about was very close to perfect. :) I'm still having difficulties getting the things I know out of my mouth in any conversations with people besides my teacher and Chris. I can write well, but speaking is another story. It's how it was for me in college too. I did have some conversations with people in el mercado today... vamos a ver.

Last weekend we went walking on el andador in the rain. It was a beautiful 1-mile walk along the water on cobblestone pathways. We saw lots of crabs, powerful waves, and couples making out. When Chris told me (quietly) that there was a couple making out, Andrew overheard and asked, "What does 'making out' mean?" Without thinking (because, you know me), I said, "It means they're kissing with their tongues." I had to answer many more questions as a result of my un-thought-out response... even from Johnny, who kept saying in his not-so-quiet voice, "What?!? Kissing with their tongues? They are kissing with their tongues?" I hope the couple couldn't understand english!

Sorry, I keep trying to downlowd a picture of the boys checking out el faro (the lighthouse), but it's not working. I don't know why it's so hard (Rich, any ideas?!? :) ). I'll try again later. Hasta pronto...

5 comments:

taylorwrinkle said...

Chris & Krista - I LOVE your blog! It was so fun to get home and read so many of the experiences that you are having that are similar to what we just came home from. While in Guatemala we played a form of "slug-bug" except with "novios" that we saw making out. We found that there were especially many novios out on Sundays. I am glad that you worked out the school changes and are feeling good about the new place for the boys. Isn't it amazing how many things need to be tweeked once you are there?

Love to you! Paige

taylorwrinkle said...

I just realized that I am logged in under Taylor. Oh well :)

Frohlings said...

Family, enjoy the updates from Mexico. Miss you in Oahu. Chris, I got 4-5 Kaisers 3 days in a row. Super fun. Love your message the other day from the boys. Give them our love. Blessings, Brad

Rich Dixon said...

Loved the pictures, so glad you figured out the schooling/summer program for the boys, that sounds terrific, and you are right, that's a great way for the kids to learn the language. :) We sure miss you guys!
Jill

Rich Dixon said...

Great post! Sorry on the delay in responding - we have been out of internet range the last two days out here on Vancouver Island. More soon,
Rich