Saturday, October 15, 2011

Peanut Butter Love

In our house, we eat a lot of peanut butter.  On celery, toast, apples, bread with honey, ricecakes, in pasta sauces... a lot.

The main reason I tell you this is because the past 14 months, we have lived on generous peanut butter donations from our friends in the States.  When our moms came to visit, each brought at least 6 containers each.  When Norm and Trish visited, I think they brought 8.  We've received great packages in the mail, generally with Peanut Butter inside. 

You may be wondering why we need it from the States?  Well, it's ridiculously expensive here.  And it's gross.  The boys won't have anything to do with it, and frankly, neither will I.  I've been challenged by a good friend to use only what my Argentine friends use (in terms of food).  If it's not available here, then I need to try to figure something else out.  This often involves many internet searches and questions to the aforementioned friend.  I've learned to make maple syrup, create a new cookbook entitled "Argentine Recipes", be satisfied with sugar that is only brown due to the coloring added to it and not the molasses, and now to make my own peanut butter.
That's a kilo (2.2 pounds) of maní (peanuts) for 15 Argentine pesos (or about USD$3.75)
I used 4 cups of maní, about 3 tablespoons of peanut oil, some salt,
and the really good blender brought from the States, that I admit none of my Argentine friends have.
Plus the transformer that I need to plug the blender into in order not to blow it up.

On the Grind Grain speed.

Success!
Andrew did a little dance when he saw the homemade PB and Johnny jumped up and down after trying it.
Although I do not see a marketing career in my future, I have to say I'm a very good Peanut Butter Maker.
I crossed out the Kirkland brand name as well as the Organic declaration.
I have no idea if the peanuts are organic and I don't care anymore.
I buy what I can find.  I know it's local, that's for sure.

4 comments:

The Cantrall's said...

Atta girl!! Nice work!

Trish said...

yay! good work.

Cari said...

Well done lady!

heather west said...

This is way too impressive for me. I'm afraid we can't be cyber friends anymore. You're way better than me. I just can't live up to your skill level. . .

And- just a sidenote- my 'word verification' for this comment is 'swine'.