Saturday, September 4, 2010

My New Friend: My Oven

An interesting thing here in Argentina, that I didn't anticipate, is re-learning how to cook. Many items I'm used to cooking with are not really available here. But there are many other great things that are, including fresh, organic vegetables and fruits available right down the street; carnecerias (meat stands) with amazingly inexpensive and delicious Argentine meat; empenada stands that deliver beautifully tasting empanadas for no additional charge; and panadarias (bakeries) with new surprises and the staple of criollos & chipacas every day.

I never thought I'd post about something I cooked (there are plenty of recipe and cooking sites out there with far better food than I could or would even want to create). But, I did want to show you our oven and what it takes to bake.


Here is the oven. It's cute. We've become well aquainted the past 2 weeks.

Here is how you turn the gas on. Pull the handle and turn it a little until you hear/smell the gas. Notice that there is no temperature gauge. I can tell when the food is done based on my
super-hero sense of smell.
Yes, I promise, I'm that good.

Open the door. Make sure there is enough water in the pan inside to prevent burning and to create a more moist atmosphere.
(I said that last part especially for Annie.)


Remove the bottom "shelf" of the oven to expose the gas thing. Use a lighter to light it. Put the shelf back on. Put your creation on a rack and close the oven door.

And this is what we created today. They tasted as good as they looked.

We're off to the Disco (the supermercado) to buy a cookie sheet. Snickerdoodles are next.

4 comments:

Annie Gupta said...

You had to use the "m" word... Yuck! :)
It sounds like you are figuring out all the ins and outs of daily life in Argentina. I'm not sure what criollos and chipacas are but if they are staples they must be good.
Miss you friend!

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing about the basic things of your daily life like your oven. Makes me want to come over and eat a yummy cookie with you all. Miss you!

Unknown said...

Quite impressive Krista!! I love to hear your adventures as you figure out life there. We miss you guys!!!

Unknown said...

I am SO impressed by you and Chris, your boys, your ambition to take on this adventure, your willingness to try your cooking/baking abilities in an "antiquated" oven w/no temp control! The daring to get your hair done in a foreign country and your patience with all of the above! I also love your writing style and think you should,(hope) there will be a forthcoming book.