Friday, November 12, 2010

Typical Day

Quite a number of people have asked me, "What does a typical day look like for you?" With the rather large exception that Chris wasn't here all week, we've had pretty regular days. This is what they look like during this season of our life.
~
5:15 am - Buddy barks because he's thirsty, he heard another dog barking, or he wants to play. I get up to let him out and then try to go back to sleep while begging God to give me a good attitude/perspective/vision for the day. It helps when I remember to do this.
~
6:30 am - The boys wake up and begin their day playing with Legos. We eat breakfast together and read 2 Psalms. We all have our own way of getting ready - some take m u c h longer than others (johnny).
~
8:45 am - The boys pile in the car while I unbarricade the 7 locks in our garage doors in order to get the car out. I back out of the garage, park on the driveway, get out, rebarricade the 7 locks. Then we begin the 25 minute commute to their school - how I miss the 3 minute walk to Peabody!
~
9:10 am - We arrive at Haroldo Andenmatten during their first break and Andrew and David go off to meet their friends. Johnny and I wait for 20 minutes until his jardin starts.
~
9:30 am - I give Johnny a big hug and kiss and say "Chau, te amo mucho" and watch him walk down the hall to his aula.

9:31 am - I flag down a taxi to take me to el centro in order to get to my class at the University on time. It costs 26 pesos for the round trip taxi. It costs 24 pesos for parking + gas + stress to drive our own car there. So, obvio, I take the taxi.
~
9:50 am - I arrive at the Facultad de Lengua ready for my lesson with Hugo, the best profe in the Uni.

12:25 pm - Hugo and I damos un beso, say nos vemos mañana, and I walk, rather quickly, to the next block and pay the lady on the corner with the orange vest to flag me a taxi.
~
12:30 pm - I get in the taxi, say "derecho hasta Pedro Zanni" and enjoy the 80s pop music.
~
12:50 pm - 5 minutes late, I arrive at the door of Johnny's jardin and greet him with a big hug. We then wait an hour for his brothers to get out of school.
~
1:45 pm - David and Andrew come out of their classrooms and we all re-pile in the car and make the 25 minute drive home.
~
2:15 pm - We shed our backpacks, wash our hands, sit down, and eat lunch.

Each afternoon looks different, but they are all filled with studying and playing. And a selection of cleaning, grocery shopping, figuring out the next meal, emails, making new friends, meetings, and exercise. I wish they were filled with siestas, because I am tired.
~
6:00 pm - Merienda, the pre-dinner snack, involves bread, jam, yogurt, and/or peanuts.
~
8:00 pm - Dinner
~
8:30 pm - Showers for the boys
~
9:00 pm - Bedtime routine. We're reading The Jungle Book right now.
~
I'm thrilled to have Chris come home (early Sunday morning). I have missed him terribly. I'm also looking forward to being re-inspired about why we are here. He has gotten some great training, come up with some exciting new ideas, and made many new collegues and friends.
~
Meanwhile, his b e s t friend is here, waiting...not so patiently.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job being an unselfish best friend. You're awesome Krista!! :) Miss you!

Annie Gupta said...

I love this description of your typical day! So glad Chris is home!!! Love you friend!

Ahn said...

you are inspiring. remind me to be more like you when i have three kids.

heather west said...

Great day. Looks like you've tamed your little doggy in that picture. Or, combed your little doggy. Whatever that lady said to you in church that I will NEVER forget because it was so dang funny.