Tuesday, April 5, 2011

3 Positives & 1 Negative

Being in Argentina for 8 months has taught us so much.

There are many things we truly admire and appreciate about our new country and culture.

Here are 3 off the top of my head.


The Argentine people are very resourceful.

Whether it be a rope to tow a car, a stick and rag to mop the floor, or scraps of wood for home repair, they are good at making due with what they have.

The children here always respectfully greet adults with a kiss and a hola.

I love it.



We have learned so much about tranquilidad from the Argentine people.

Generally speaking, they are calm, warm, helpful and hospitable.



And now for the negative.


Clearly, I love the man in this photo. What I do not like are the crickets surrounding him. In one 30 minute period, the hero above killed over 100 of them with the shoe in his left hand and the insecticide in his right. I watched from inside as he was dive-bombed and informed him of the huge one sitting on his shoulder (like any good wife would do).


PS Please don't judge us for using insecticide. Crickets are food for scorpions, scorpions sting, and the venom can be quite dangerous for young boys. Without crickets, we won't have scorpions. You also can't imagine how difficult it is to find natural insect-killing methods when you still have trouble finding whole wheat flour.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

No judgment here. I used to use pesticide every night to kill cockroaches and mosquitos at my old apartment. I'm sure I've breathed in more than is recommended by the FDA. Asi es la vida.

David and Karen said...

I hope the one negative has been successfully eliminated. It's good to know that the positives continue to outnumber the negatives.
Saludos desde Mexico a toda la familia!