Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Post Op

This is Johnny before the surgery, and yes, those are angry eyes. 
When we got to the hospital at 7:30 this morning, we found Bethany already there. 
Please remember that 7:30 am is very early for anyone who lives in Argentina. 
By the time I took this photo it was about 10:00 and 
Johnny was very hungry and tired. 
Not a good combination... for anyone.

The nurses had to try multiple times to get the IV into his arm. 
He has a huge bruise, but I would like you to know that he watched them poke and prod him and he laughed. 
He watched and he laughed. 


Here he is, with Doggy, after the surgery. 
His first words to me in the recovery room upon waking up were 
"Hi. Can I eat now?"
Unfortunately, the answer was no.  In terms of health care, Argentines are very cautious and prefer to wait 2 hours after surgery before letting a patient eat or drink anything, due to the potential after-affects of anesthesia. 

I heard Johnny say "I'm hungry" about 100 times before begging the nurse to let me at least give him something to drink. 
This was the low part of the day - the hungry, tired, angry child part. 
It did make me thankful that he usually has a full tummy
and that we don't normally worry about food, like so many others in the world do. 
(That's my profound take-away for the day.)

Watching as the IV was removed after being in the hospital for 7.5 hours. 

We played dots and boxes, tic tac toe, read 115 pages of the Children's Bible, played who-am-i?, and then he got to eat jello and pudding, both of which were big treats.

On the way home, Johnny commented on the sounds of the buses that he had yet to hear, listened to me whisper, and didn't stop talking.  The non-stop talking is normal, as is the high-volume voice.  I'm hoping that in the next few days of supposed "down time" he will discover that he doesn't need to talk quite so loud because when we have ears that hear, we can speak in regular inside voices as I remind him of often.

Thank you for all the emails and prayers and support.  We feel loved.

2 comments:

Eackers said...

Krista,

I just want you to know that I read every one of your blog posts and think of you OFTEN. Eric and I admire you and Chris so much. You are in our prayers. Much love, The Eackers

heather west said...

SO glad that things seem to be going well! Thanks for responding in the other post. I can only imagine how frustrated and perplexed I'd be dealing with an issue like this in another country! And then, I'd have all these crazy people giving me advice and being totally annoying. . .Anyway, I hope all goes well!