Sunday, October 31, 2010

Baptism & Bad Things

This past weekend was a big celebration at La Gracia de Cristo. It marks the 11-year anniversary that our Argentine church (who we are partnering with in our work with the poor) has been ministering here in Córdoba Capital.

On Saturday night, all 5 of us went to the service that began at 8:00 pm. It was a beautiful time of worship, baptism, teaching, and prayer. It was one of our favorite yet.

After the service was over (11:00 pm), Chris stopped at the local, neighborhood Choripan truck and ordered our dinner. I proceeded to walk home with the boys (yes, they had already eaten). On the way home, we began talking about baptism. Here is part of the conversation:

Andrew: When we go home [meaning Santa Barbara], I would like to be baptized.
Krista: That's great, Andrew. Would you want to get baptized here?
Andrew: No! I want daddy to baptize me.
David: Me too. And I want to be able to understand the language when I am getting baptized.
Krista: That makes sense.

Throughout this conversation, Johnny is surprisingly quiet. Then,


Johnny: What is baptism? Why did they get all wet?
And before I could reply...
Andrew: Well, Johnny, it's a symbol. It's a promise of how you want to live your life. It's like telling everyone that you are choosing to make good choices and want to be done with the bad ones.
Johnny: Oh... [another time of rare silence, then he says,] I'm going to wait until I've done a lot of bad things and then I'm going to do the baptism.
Krista: Hmm, Johnny. What bad things are you planning on doing?
Johnny: I have no clue.



Have a great week.

6 comments:

TP said...

This post really made my day :)
I Love that boy...and so does Jesus. That's what amazes me about Him.

Ahn said...

this is adorable. way to preach it andrew! i feel like i could learn a few things from johnny about mankind.

heather west said...

THIS is spectacular. Perfect kid commentary.

LB said...

this made my day!!

sara said...

I love this! Out of the mouths of babes...praying for your dear family!!

Mo Hislop said...

Trish forwarded me your blog...so I am trying to catch up. you are an incredible writer. Loved the baptism conversation...so priceless. Love to you and your family. Mo