Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Mother's Day #2

Since Mother's Day is celebrated in May in USA and October in Argentina, I got to enjoy 2 celebrations this year. How cute are these boys? David made me the necklace, Andrew made me the bracelet, and Johnny smiled nicely at school and I got a mug with his photo on it. I'm a lucky lady!
We went to Rubén & Graciela's house for a yummy lunch of homemade emanadas and here are all the mom's pictured. As if you didn't know, I'm the giant, 3rd from the left.
(Angelita (Karina's mom), Karina, Giant, Victoria (Graciela's mom), Ezequiel's mom, Graciela's niece, Graciela, Miriam)

My friend Sonia is a champion sewer (I'm not, and don't aim to be). She made 55 purses for the moms in the church. I told her that I could help somehow, maybe cutting or something? (I'm good with scissors.) She said she was making cards for the kids to give to their moms too and maybe I could help with those? Sure! I said envisioning a very small project.

Suffice it to say that after making a few of these, my cussing fast had to begin anew. I not a big "ribbons and bow" type of gal. I'd post the DIY instructions for these little diddies, but I'm not sure how to explain it using nice words.

I do know that many moms loved their gifts and I feel thankful to Sonia for her extreme dedication to making sure every mom felt celebrated, even though I prefer the homemade cards made by David, Andrew, & Johnny.

~~

On another note, did you know that today is "census-day" in Argentina? Everyone had to stay home - from school and work - in order to be available to answer all the questions from the government worker who comes directly to your house. It is very interesting and I think a very good way to make sure everyone is counted. There are approximately 40 million people living in this country, half of whom live in Buenos Aires. I'm glad we don't live there. We have about 1.5 million people living in Córdoba Capital and I think that is a much better number. Funny to think we'll be counted in this census. Do we get to be counted in USA too? Does that mean we are worth double??

Also, the president's husband died last night. (David asked me, "How would it be possible for him to have a husband?" I calmly informed him that WOMEN CAN BE PRESIDENTS too.) The current government, we've been told, is corrupt. Kristina, the president, is not truly Peronista and it was thought that her husband, who himself is a former president of Argentina, would become president when her term was over. Not so, now. Very interesting times.

4 comments:

Ahn said...

love the picture of you and the boys. so sweet. also, coming from a non crafty person, well done on those cards. i've heard the lord forgives swear words every once in a while.

Annie Gupta said...

I love the picture too!!!
Well done on the cards Krista. You are crafty you just don't claim to be. Thanks again for keeping us all updated with these posts. Oh and I think you are worth double (re: Mother's Day and the census) :)

TP said...

You are a beautiful giant and I am thankful for your role as mother in your boy's lives (yes, women can be president, indeed...not many of us have been crazy enough to want to fill this difficult role, though!)
I agree with Annie's math-yes, you are worth double-at the very LEAST.
Sure enjoy seeing pictures and hearing a bit...you are LOVED!

paul said...

it looks like it is getting warmer?
short sleeves? yeah.