Sunday, October 3, 2010

Reflections on the Past 2 Months

It's hard for me to believe we've been here for 2 months.
Some days it feels like home and others days I struggle to get out of bed.

Here are some things I am learning and relearning, in no particular order:


I like my husband.
He's funny, reliable, strong, and a really good leader.
He has saved our sanity with his desire to explore,
his ability to read a map,
and his daily readings from the Bible during breakfast.
(Much to my dismay and the boys' delight, he is shaking a monkey's hand below.)

~~
We couldn't be here without the support of people all around the world.
It is good to be part of the Body of Christ.
~~
Mate is good when prepared with suave yerba.



~~
Duct tape is a semi-good replacement for my tool-box.
(Yes, I did say "my" toolbox. It was mine. And I miss it.)
~~
It is really hard to learn a new language when you're 37 years old.
~~
It's a lot easier, but still painful, to learn a language when you're 10, 8, or 5.
~~
God is on the move in Argentina.
I have seen great need and great joy and I have a sense of purpose for our being here.
~~
I am not in control of my life.

~~
My mind freezes when the weather is too cold.
~~
Argentine wine helps in language aquisition.
~~
The boys are very resiliant.

~~
I'm thankful for the way each kiddo communicates with me...

even Johnny's hissy fits since I can relate to them.





~~
Trader Joes really is the best grocery store. I miss organic peanut butter (but have a good supply thanks to generous package senders), well made (translated "low sugar") granola bars, healthy cereal, organic banilla yogurt, edamame, fresh hot salsa, and virtuoso lip balm.
~~
Sleep is very important for a healthy lifestyle. Sugar is not.
~~
I can find Tabasco Sauce in WalMart.
~~
I really miss my friends and family. And the beach.


~~
I'm making new friends and finding beauty here. God provides uniquely.
~~
Hail can be as big as golf or tennis balls and ruins plants and damages cars.
Taxis will not drive in hailstorms.
~~
Laxatives aid digestion after the consumption of a lot of meat.
~~
Bringing Buddy here was a very good choice.

~~
Fútbol is a universal language. So is math.
~~
Grieving is hard, takes time, and is different for each person.
Tear Soup is a must read.
~~
The Psalms are a good way to draw me closer to the heart of God.
~~
Hang drying laundry isn't so bad.
Jill's right: It's a good time to think and pray.
It also helps to have a really good lavaropa.
~~

Reading the Bible in Spanish opens up God's Word in a new and incredible way.
~~

Female hormones are very powerful.
(Sometimes I grow horns.) ~~
Chris's garage exercises and work-outs would make Chuck Norris proud. He's religious about doing them every single day and he's got the biceps to prove it.
~~
The ability to drive in Argentina signifies the ability to drive anywhere in the world.
~~
I still don't feel like I'm missing out by not having my own FaceBook page.
~~
We can always make good, new friends and still keep the old.
~~
Bidets are yucky.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this - the honesty, insight and the pliability on all of your parts. Just say the word and more TJs organic pb will be on its way!

heather west said...

Wow, that's a long list. Love the swing pic.

Annie Gupta said...

I love this post. It is so exciting to see what you are learning and what God is doing in and through you in Argentina. Love you!!

Valdir Franca said...

And that is only the beginning!

Shannon Rapo said...

Mark and I are so encouraged by your posts, thanks Frohlings! you are living the gospel and it is influencing the lives of others including my neighbors who are so interested in what you are doing and why. thanks for the opp to share! xo