Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Her (a post by Chris)

Krista blogged about our 17 year anniversary the other day. On that day, I thought a lot about her. We met almost 19 years ago. It’s been a privilege to be her best friend and companion over these years. We have both grown in so many different ways as we have experienced life together. There have been highs and lows and lots of time in between.

In the midst of our process of deciding to come here to Argentina, selling most of our stuff, moving here and adjusting to a new life in a different culture we have faced new challenges and also experienced new joys. We are both organized, planner-types and so learning to deal with constantly changing plans and seemingly insurmountable challenges has tested us.  We've had to depend on each other in serious ways.  I am happy to say that I believe that in the big scope of things, God is changing us for the better and we have grown closer together than ever before. 

Through this whole experience, my appreciation, love and respect for Krista has continued to grow. There are not many moms I know who would have even been open to the possibility of moving overseas with our three young boys. We had a good, comfortable life in Santa Barbara and she was willing to leave it for a time. Since we have been here, I’ve been able to witness Krista’s perseverance in improving in her Spanish despite her feelings of discouragement. I’ve watched her handle some incredibly difficult and uncomfortable situations. I’ve seen her sadness at missing all of our friends and family. I’ve seen her make our house here a home and gently guide each one of our boys through the adaptation process. She's encouraged me in my low times.  Through it all, she has continued to be a godly woman, a wonderful mom to our boys, a great wife to me, and one of the funniest people I know. I love watching her interact with her new friends here and seeing how she encourages them and blesses them by being the person that God has made her to be.

I am so thankful to God that He has given me the privilege of sharing my life with Krista, my beautiful wife. I love her strength, compassion for others, love for Jesus, intelligence, heart for the poor, determination, sense of humor, and her ability to be “real”.

At our wedding, we played the James Taylor song, “My Only One”. Krista will always be my only one. God has blessed me abundantly with her.

3 comments:

The Ingrams said...

I love this. I know I was only 10 when you guys got married, but I remember thinking you were SO in love, so perfect for each other, and that I was going to marry a man like Chris. :) It is wonderful to see how your life together has developed. Happy Anniversary. We love you guys!!

heather west said...

Here, here! I remember when Chris used to come to Krista's window in Armington B. Just sayin'. . .

Annie Gupta said...

I love this post. I am so thankful to have seen your relationship grow from the very beginning. I love how God has continued to faithfully draw you both to Himself and to each other these past 19 years. We love you!